scduply - useful interface for duplicity¶
scduply - is a backup system designed for easy and cost-effective backup of the data to any type of storage via Internet, from a simple ftp to Amazon S3-class services.
Due to it's properties, scduply is ideal for VPS backup copy on Linux (for example - sites) and on Windows (for example - a terminal server, including a file database, and Outlook folders).
The incremental backup sents only different pieces of the file. Convenient for big logs and databases.
- Encryption on client-side
Before sending, all data is encrypted by GPG program. Therefore, even if the third party has the access to the location,
it can't acquire the data without the private key.
- Easy Windows installation
Windows installer does everything itself. More over, the Windows version contains patches for fast and stable operation.
- VSS Support for MS Windows
Supporting Snapshots, allowing to copy databases, Outlook pst-files and changing other objects.
SCDUPLY - IS FREE SOFTWARE¶
The software consist of three components licensed under GPL:
- scduply - the program itself
- scdw - the web-interface to control scduply
- scwin - the installer for scduply и scdw for Windows with VSS option
The software is developed by SkyCover Company. It is initally based on source of duply and using Duplicity as backup engine.
This is the backup control tool via configuration files and simple commands, which simplifies significantly the tuning of backup jobs
and allowing to manage several jobs, each for different directory or subsystem.
SkyCover Duply (scduply)¶
The tool for managing dedicated server backups via the configuration files and simple commands.
- Permits to define the new backup job in few seconds.
- User friendly, clear syntax of config files.
- Able to execute and check pre- and post-job scripts.
- Gives useful commands for backup and restore.
- Saves the backup logs, create and mail HTML reports.
The example of mailed HTML report. It cames with all the raw logs attached.
SkyCover Duply is useful for command-line usage and also is used as the backend for SkyCover Duply Web (SCDW) – the web interface for configuring the backup jobs.
Both scduply and SCDW are free and licensed under GPL.
The sources and the manuals
The project’s code: http://github.com/skycover/scduply
The request tracker: https://redmine.skycover.ru/projects/scduply-backup
The quick comments page
The relation to the duply project
scduply is based on the source code of duply, but is advanced to be more friendly:
- User friendly config syntax with named variables.
- Additional global configuration file.
- Automatic addition of the job’s name to the globally configured TARGET_URL.
- Infrastructure to save per-job logs and reports.
- The command for batch execution of all defined jobs.
- Reporting via e-mail with HTML report and raw logs attached.
scduply is not backward compatible with duply.
scduply is developed for the SkyCover Company internal needs, so it will always be the separate project, to be able implement any desired new features.
Nevertheless, we will be glad to submit any parts of our code to the duply.